It was one of the proudest days yesterday for Indians and some consider it as important as the Independence Day. It was first declared in 1930 as the day when Indians finally decide to fight for complete freedom. That is why once India achieved independence, our freedom fighters wanted the future Indians to remember 26th January as the most important day in Indian history that changed the course of the country forever. The first celebration started in 1950 which is three years after we got independence.
Unknown Facts About Republic Day –
1. Many of you may not know the fact that Republic Day celebration is actually a 3-day celebration the last day is January 29th which is referred to as Beating Retreat Ceremony.
2. The parade at Rajpath is a special event that started in 1955. A Christian song is played during the parade which is quite surprising but the song was one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite. The first Republic Day parade was attended by over 15,000 civilians at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
3. Republic Day ceremony includes presenting the National Awards like Bharat Ratna, Padma Bhushan and Kirti Chakra. It was also on January 26th, 1965 that Hindi was declared as the national language.
4. The first Indian president Dr. Rajendra Prasad took oath at Dubar Hall Of Government House on 26th January 1950. The event was attended by Indonesia’s first President Sukarno who was the chief guest. As a matter of fact, every year president, prime minister or king of a country is invited to be the chief guest. 31-gun salute was given to the first president.
5. Another fun fact is that Indian Consitution is the longest in the world and it is written in English and Hindi and has 448 articles. It took Dr. B.R. Ambedkar nearly 2 years and 11 months to complete the draft. It was completely handwritten and it came into effect from 26th January 1950.
6. Republic Day is also the day when Indian Air Force came into existence and became an independent body. Gun salute is given during the Republic Day, it matches with the duration of National Anthem which is 52 seconds. The first firing is done with the start of National Anthem while the last firing occurs exactly at 52nd seconds when the Anthem ends.
The fun fact is that President addresses the Republic Day while Prime Minister address the Independence Day. Best marching group award is given to a selected group based on 200 parameters.